Tuesday 14 May 2013

Monday, May 13th, 2013

Talking the Walk

Toronto, Ontario

On Torstar News Service something appeared that advocates walking.

"In Toronto's wars over traffic and transit, Dylan Reid is a foot soldier. The walking activist is fighting to reverse our affair with the car and to return us to our natural mode of transportation."

Reid says he's doing it because, first, it's healthy for people, the city and the environment, and second because it can be fun and social. By walking, you can de-stress, bump into friends and neighbours, get to know your local merchants as well as attract more amenities to the area because you're not speeding past them.

My response: "Dear Dylan: Thanks! It's a worthy cause. I'm doing my bit but not enough I feel. Since I began my long distance walking in '96 by embarking on a cross Canada walk, I too advocated walking as the best means for human movement. Since that precious time when I kick-started a pilgrimage of sorts on April 12 at Beacon Hill Park on Vancouver Island to eventually reach St. John's, Newfoundland on Dec 8th, I've done the trek two more times. I'm actually in the middle of the fourth one.

The response has been good from media and the general public. I know that some of my own colleagues, now in their 60's have become inspired to do more walking because of what I do. They tell me so. Overall, I wish I could impact people more. I guess it happens by doing and also by talking about its benefits. I try to say that when you're a walker you're a rocker. I firmly believe that it's cool to walk and that when there's more walking, there's less squaking."

8 KM

No comments: