Tuesday 30 March 2010

Thursday, March 25th, 2010

What and Where?

Dubai, U.A.E

This is a curse. For a second straight day in a row there was no room or time to walk although a great distance was covered (by air). Another thing unique about today was it jumped ahead a few hours due to different time zones. But even more awkward was the fact that I could not don my usual dress code. I was fore- warned that saffron robes “will not fly” in a Muslim country. So plain clothes it was. My companions with me enroute to South Africa, Radha Gopinath and Yashomati, purchased a blue shirt and grey pants. Even a base ball cap came with it. I was re-incarnated.

It’s my intention that on the flight leaving Dubai I will do the Clark Kent routine. It won’t be a telephone booth to change in but I will use the aircrafts washroom. I’m missing those robes. It’s known however, if you change the attire the heart remains the same. It's one of the more profound things said in “The Bhagavad-Gita” wherein Sri Krishna expresses the principle of transmigration. The soul changes bodies just as a person changes his dress. Chapter 2 of the Gita makes it very clear.

At the airport in Dubai we are greeted by Vijay and Jaya Rasesvari, known to us as they have been living some years in Canada. One of my first curiosities here for the two day stay is in which vastra or dress will I go and secondly where can I walk in this new place for the coming morning?

I had a thought….. contrary to the saying “the clothes make the man”. According to the Gita the clothes are not the man and similarly the body is not the soul nor does the body make or shape the soul.

No comments: