Monday 1 March 2010

Thursday, February, 25th, 2010

Thinking about Walking

Mayapur, West Bengal.

There was an estimated 3 to 4 thousand pilgrims that left Mayapur to meet at the Yogapith, the birth place of the king of Kirtan, Caitanya. Of course many more people had packed in to the relatively small facility where the famous inauguration of chanting was born. This figure seems to grow year by year when folks from all over the world converge at this hotspot of the sacredness, a place in the Nadia District where an auspicious neem tree still graciously shades walkers as it has for hundreds of years.

Now I cannot boast to having taken many steps today. It’s a bit of spiritual jealousy I have to live with for the day. I did take some steps up to Maha Srnga’s rooftop. Maha Srnga is one of my heros here in Mayapur for organizing mass food distribution in the neighbouring area. I once accompanied him to where he had huge vats of vegetarian prasadam (blessed food). We spooned out that flavourful spicy kichari (curried veg + rice) to a multitude.

Today we had a meal on the rooftop and with a group effort held a diksa or initiation ceremony for new candidates. They were asked to chant daily for meditation, to refrain from meat eating, gambling, intoxication and casual sex. I made the point also to avoid gossip.

So between preparations for tonight’s play and being involved in the diksa program I had so little time to walk. It’s no compensation but I used my voice as a narrator, a computer geek, a French man, a German Vocalist and a deep south American.

No comments: