Thursday 23 April 2009

Friday, April 17th, 2009

A Man in a cab and A Man in Black

Toronto, Ontario

Every now and then this Muslim cab driver spots me downtown as I trek and Chant. When he sees the robes he stops and chats. He had been up for hours driving passengers with booze on their breath. Connecting with a sober monk is a breath of fresh air for him.

He’s a pleasant man. I leaned over the side of the car speaking to him through his open passengers window. He likes the spiritual reinforcement. We part on amiable terms.

With further walking north on Yonge st. I met a chap dressed like Johnny Cash, all in black. He was young, physically attractive, and was curious about monasticism. We talked for blocks and blocks as he posed questions that came to his receptive mind. Eventually we hit on the subject of human nature’s appetite for sex.

My position was that the tradition I represent condones responsible sex. He interpreted it as meaning, “safe sex”, or the use of condoms. I expressed that it is abstinence unless married and “married to one” that we prescribed to. I suggested that the world could look at sexual union with a fresh outlook. Chapter nine of the Gita recommends that all that we so must have a link to the Divine.

My new friend in black insisted that “safe sex” is fine and that impulsive action is natural. I insisted on the advantages of planning for all actions including sex.

Anyways I ended up going my way and he left for his apartment.

Maybe I’ll have a second round with him someday. It will be fun

8 Km

No comments: