Tuesday 3 June 2008

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wed. May 21/08 - Montreal, Quebec

It was my fourth day in this dynamic city. I was feeling that my time here was productive, not necessarily on foot as the weather was generally bad, wet and somewhat windy. By God's grace I managed to accomplish something substantial. Whenever I spot a messy area (in this case the temple room) I' am inclined to make a remark to those I thought would do something about it. The person in charge here is a real servant-leader type. His name is Anubhava Prabhu and he gave a nod of approval for me to remove unnecessary objects and to tidy an otherwise neglected area. Within a matter of minutes orderliness came into being and although there was some resistance for change by a couple of residential monks consensus built up that "less is more". As for myself, it is difficult to concentrate on spiritually-focused activities like chanting when a place in untidy.

I roamed around a place on the east end of Montreal near the temple a street named " Promenade Ontario". Recently the city has sunk funds into the area to give it a facelift but if the people of the vicinity don't clean up their ways being a reputed high percentage welfare district then nothing will change.

An example given by Srila Prabhupada is, "a man may be given a cure for sexually-transmitted disease but if he is not careful about his playboy habits he can contract the disease again".

10 KM.

No comments: