Monday 2 May 2022

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Ramsden Park, Toronto

Death and the Dog

The sun and the green of the park drew me to take those few steps to a bench of contemplation. The dog park just behind me has been a location of spriteful activities, for a good twenty-five years now, for pets and owners. Those frisky canines are so much loved by their masters. I pondered on the point, wondering if the masters reserve any affection for the greatest of masters.

While I see an explosive exhibition of life at that haven for animals, I did dwell a bit on the theme of death. On my walking travels, I’ve seen the display of death, with the most common incident being roadkill. Most wildlife can’t stand a chance when crossing our roadway systems. For instance, the other day I spotted a beaver who came from High Park and just abruptly expired from a traffic bully on Gardiner Expressway. Sad.

In the Bhagavatam, verse 11.10.20, from today’s morning session at the ashram, we read, “Death is not at all pleasing.” For pet owners, a dog’s life span only goes for 10 to 13 years in most cases. It can be devastating for dog lovers. That’s why, I say, if people can at the same time offer affection to God, then the emotions become somewhat tempered. You have something to fall back on as He will always be there for you in affection.

One way to look at the practical relationship with Krishna is that we are His dog, as He is our master.

May the Source be with you!



 

No comments: