Sunday 28 March 2021

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Brampton, Ontario

 

Chaitanya’s Versus

 

With the coming birthday of Sri Chaitanya on Sunday, the 28th, I wanted to share this poem; a sort of rewrite of His eight verses known as sikshastakam.

 

Chaitanya’s Versus

 

Victory to the sacred sound that cleanses all around

There’s filth in the heart, piled up from the start

Many births of desires, have burst up like fires

Therefore, the kirtan charge, is for humanity at large

It’s a practice so cool, like the rays of the moon

It’s the fruit of wisdom, with joy that’s arisen

So sweet to the taste, we go there in haste

 

You who are Divine, this sound is sublime

With thousands of names, they all are the same

In them all energies are invested, the names are the same

Rules? Not hard and fast, it’s easy to pass

Out of sheer kindness the sound is sure to bind us

Attractive! Accessible! Approachable! Doable!

But what is most unfortunate… I can’t always appreciate it

 

To approach the sound, one must be humbly-bound

Like the straw in the street, one has to be meek

Like a tall, stout tree, tolerant as can be

I’m telling you brother, it’s the ego we have to smother

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.... respect is how it should be

With the right attitude, the constant sound has platitude

 

Oh, power behind the universe

I’m not looking to be fabulously rich

Not to be overwhelmed by the lustful itch

Nor entangled in the name/fame hitch

I’ll have my bhakti list, though birth persist

 

Oh, son of Nanda

I love you and I will assist you

But I’m in an ocean, drowning without devotion

Pick me up from this ocean of death, before my last breath

While those lotus feet are handsome, place me there like an atom

 

When will the time come, when tears of love will run

And flow so constantly, while chanting in ecstasy?

When will my voice choke up, in the course of shake-up?

When will hair stand on end, as we chant to transcend?

 

Govinda is your name, separation makes me insane

One moment lasts forever, like twelve years or whatever

Tears come like rain, your absence gives such pain

This vacancy in life, creates so much strife

 

But I know only you as my lover, there is no other

Even when it’s rough, I’ll never have enough

Of heart-felt embrace, or when we find no trace

Of you in your freedom to act, so I’ll state the fact

That I love you, I love you, I always will love you

 

May the Source be with you!

0 km

 

Please view our new film, Rolling the Dice:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3legHdMgI


 

 

No comments: