Tuesday 13 January 2015

Monday, January 5th, 2015

Toronto, Ontario

Moderate

It was a biting cold that Nick and I took as the challenge on an evening high speed trek.  That’s fine, because you then come to appreciate warmth.  Whatever is the condition, it is there to remind you of some words of wisdom.  Verse 2.14 of the Bhagavad Gita convinces us of the dualistic reality and how to be persevering the world’s two faces. 

It will only be a matter of two days before I’ll be near equatorial territory, Guyana to be precise.  I’ll then be seeing the other wild side of nature.  At that time, I will be dreaming of cold when I sweat to pieces in Guyana.  Verse 2.14 will once again spring up.  It informs us that we should tolerate and moderate.  Toleration appears to be more of a psychological acceptance of things.  The verse 2.14 suggests that dualities arise from sense perception. 

Now, if you were to visit a place like Hawaii, where I’ve been, you encounter the almost perfect moderate weather.  Physically, you can enjoy, but still, the storm within exists and the climatic changes of the mind persist.  The moodiness of the mind is universal.  Every living being gets intense over issues, and they require some tempering.

They say if you temper steel first by heating and then by cooling, it improves the hardness and elasticity of the metal.  Moving through life and accepting its extremes is key to being neutralized in some way in becoming moderate.

I laugh when I think of being invited, along with my support guy, Dave, on my first cross Canada trek, to “A brandin’”.  A cowgirl/woman asked if we wanted to go to a brandin’ at a local ranch in Alberta.  You, know, it’s when you mark the side of cattle with heat.  We declined and indicated that we were too cool for that. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: