Saturday 29 March 2008

Wednesday, March 19th 2008

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 Durban, South Africa

Do monks get involved in weddings? In my order, yes, most certainly! In fact, my comrade Bhakti Chaityana Swami acted as the father to Syamesvari, a young woman in the local community, and formally gave her away to her new husband Savyasacin at the ceremony this evening. I also participated but in a more minimal way. As an invitee, I attended the program which recognized the mutual bond between this lovely couple. Savyasacin is from Canada and is a sincere seeker. In a short address I emphasized that such a union has less to do with romance and fantasy functions (such as the wedding ceremony) and more to do with complementing each other in personal character growth and becoming responsible human beings, of which the most important function is self-realization. Srila Prabhupada taught the central point of married life is the Supreme Force whom we identify as Krishna, the speaker of the sacred Bhagavad-gita.

My day ended with working or rehearsing on a play until 2AM so there was less walking executed today. I’m feeling guilty.
3km

No comments: