Friday 7 December 2007

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thurs. Nov.15/07 Buenos Aries, Argentina
There are favorable breezes in Buenos Aries as I assume the name implies. Myself and several novice monks, young brahmacaris, took to walking with meditation beads in hand on the streets. Eighty street blocks was the distance covered over two hours of fairly attentive chanting. Sidewalks, curbs, and cobblestone streets are uneven so at least reflexology came to us as a natural benefit to the usual lazy feet of the current age. Even for myself accustomed to an average eight hours of trekking during marathons I am experiencing such lazy feet.
My voice and the balance of my entire body is active though. Devotees here insist on my leading the chanting sessions and with that comes innovational dance. The afternoon and evening hours see me directing a drama-“The Gita” in preparation for the weekend’s Festival of India. Fortunately the volunteers numbering twelve amateur but sincere actors shape the play that will hopefully satisfy the outdoor audience at the Plaza Francia. The challenges are plentiful. One volunteer was engaged at his regular job. I haven’t as yet secured an available narrator, an integral part of this thirty minute production. Everything is done in Spanish, so there’s a natural barrier for me. And lastly, one of the female actors at the trail end of our rehearsal was informed that her father was struck with a heart attack. She apologized for her having to bow out. With tears in her eyes and empathy from the cast members we were left with a pleasant hurdle to contribute to a new adventure. Tomorrow would be our last and third day for a crack at practice. We have so little time, the consolation is we have Manyana (tomorrow)!
10 kms.

No comments: