Monday 17 October 2022

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Brickworks, Toronto

From Bricks to Beavers

Mitch from Orangeville came by to join us on the prearranged walk to the Brickworks and beyond. Usually, I can pack in some japa on beads; chanting during these urban pilgrimages, which are actually located in ravines. However, today was just talking all the while. The topic of Tattva, philosophical truths, according to the devotional perspective and practical realities were what occupied our time. It was sweet. We even cited a beaver lodge.

Now, I am the first to admit that I am a trite bit behind in my correspondence with people, but I make it a priority to offer myself to these younger Vaishnavas. The days of good weather are numbered at this time of year and so it is important to bend with the seasonal changes. You are not going to find a situation, like now, with more favorable weather conditions. As I mentioned to Mitch, “The fall is the best time for working, playing, eating, sleeping and spiritual undertakings. It is the month of Damodhara, also known as kartik; when spiritual progress can be realized. Some people make vows to increase their chanting.”

Incidentally at one cozy corner in the forest we lead kirtan and used our hands to clap, like a beaver would slap his tail on the water. That singing and clapping alone attracted one young couple who heard us from the distance through the trees across Mud Creek. They sought us out and joined us.

Mitch had been on my weekly Gita chat Zoom calls so I was so happy to see him becoming a component of our walking, talking and chanting excursion.

May the Source be with you!

10 km




 

No comments: