Monday 7 December 2009

Sunday, December 6th, 2009

A little push

Edmonton, Calgary

It was dark at 5am. Wind was biting the nose with its chill. The temperature was about 20 degrees Celsius below. I was walking near white mud drive in Edmonton’s Southern side maneuvering myself on foot from sidewalk to street wherever there was a passage of plowed snow.

Then I saw a motorist in trouble his wheels were spinning but not moving forward. In the attempt he was getting more and more buried Like a victim of quicksand. The more he struggled to free himself the more quickly he sank. It was a remote area and very quiet at this hour, the poor guy just needed a push. He revved up. I pushed….Voila! He moved forward inching away and Eventually sped off.

“Thanks!” he shouted in appreciation after rolling down his windows.

“No problem”, I shouted in return.

To draw an analogy; we all get stuck in a body and our actions plunge us deeper into a mire unless of course someone comes along to yank us out.

Thinking of the motorist I told myself , “I’m so glad I don’t own a vehicle”, I have to think twice, "but I do have one – this body". Better to get unstuck and work my way towards a spiritual body”. My rationale then brought me to the point of, “Well that’s why I’m out here chanting I’m not just walking, I’m out here in the cold chanting towards freedom”

I spent the morning and evening in Edmonton/ Calgary speaking to a community in each city about sharing or to put it in other terms, giving each other a little push. How do you do that? Share information, I quoted verses from the Bhagavad- Gita about the benevolence about sharing wisdom. 18.68-70 go as follows; “ For one who explains this supreme secret to the devotees pure devotional service is guaranteed and in the end he will come back to me. There is no servant in this world more dear to me than he nor will there ever be one more dear. And I declare that he who studies this sacred conversation of our, worships me by his intelligence.“

Hmmmmmmm!

The Gita could make a great Christmas gift for someone.

7 Km

No comments: