Thursday 22 January 2009

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Toronto, Ontario.

While walking south on Avenue Rd. before the crack of dawn I shouldered “the face of freshness”. My dad used the term “fresh” whenever he would describe winter winds biting the face. It sometimes even stings. Tagged on to the word Fresh I can hear his voice lingering in my mind. “It’s good for you.” This phrase always stuck with me. In applying this toughness, so to speak , I have felt the benefits. The elements can be harsh but once there is psychological acceptance then the harshness becomes soft.

From a newspaper stand the caption’s message was clear. The new US president Barak Obama was quoted saying that there will be a new era of responsibility. With all the recent enthusiasm over the new leader I believe some of the public cheerleaders are hoping the new chief can solve all the problems. But this isn’t so. Sometimes a candidate for accepting a guru is motivated in a self-centered way thinking, “if I have a guru he/she will relieve me of all my problems, financial, relationship difficulties will dissolve.” This isn’t so. The guru or leader encourages responsibility supplying the inspiration to carry on despite the challenges of the world.

One of our monks in the ashram is encountering some depression. I and others have encouraged him to surf on the wave of hope, to go for those brisk walks, do some pranayam (breathing exercises), take cool showers and above all to let the mantras heal him. We cannot “do for him”, but advise. He must take some initiative and ride on the momentum we, his friends, can supply.

He responded well to the evening walk in the chill ,which I accompanied him on.

8 Km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Maharaj,
please accept my humble obeisances.
all glories to Srila Prabhupada.
as i read this days report i felt again most inspired by your teachings, and again thanked krishna for putting me in touch with you...

Gopal Krsna goswami is in Mauritius for a few days. i was so exited to hear his classe as i had heard lots of great news about Him. this was my first contact Him.I sat down for the class, readied my camera to film His Grace....and was so sad when he started to speak in Hindy... i went in the back with a friend so that he would help me with translation but he could not hear well through the speakers....so we lost half the class...
He came to me afterwards and told me to come see him if i had some spiritual problems to talk about, but i felt un-at-ease to talk about the language barrier...

so i am twice as glad to have found a spiritual master that preachers in english, even if you are half way aroud the world...

looking forward to you emails,

your humble servant,

thierry (from Mauritius)