Monday 11 July 2022

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Yonge St., Toronto

Curiosity at Sam’s

The two lads, middle-aged, were sitting on the steps at Toronto Metropolitan University, at the former sight of the iconic “Sam the Record Man” on south Yonge St. The one more hefty-built one waved me over and had oodles of questions.

“I’ve been with some beautiful women and also some not so beautiful. Some were great people. Some were just demons. Could you comment?”

“We live in a world of duality – good and bad. Life teaches us to keep an even-mindedness in all circumstances and at the same time we should choose our best company that is most favorable.”

“Good enough. Can you give me some lesson to live with?” He continued.

“Certainly. Let’s get our identity right. We are not flesh. We are not these bodies. We are, in essence, spirits and we are here to serve others as spirits. Our purpose is to look after each other.”

“How long have you been a monk with Krishna?” asked the second fellow.

“I joined when I was twenty, a mere forty-nine years ago. I joined the ashram when we were on Gerrard St. in the Cabbagetown section. There were days when, as part of my service, I would come right to this spot when the famous music store was here. I would be accompanied by another monk and we would approach pedestrians and try to interest them in the teachings of the Bhagavad-gita. At times, I met Sam, the Record Man. He was nice.”

Our conversation went on for a bit until my walking partner, Vallabha, met me after being lost. It was great meeting those guys that were supportive and had questions – questions of what I just gave a sampling. I left them with a gift.

May the Source be with you!

7 km


 

No comments: