Wednesday 26 January 2022

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Pickering, Ontario

Twenty-four Gurus

Based on a story from Canto 11 of the Bhagavatam, I have this literary piece to offer the readers:

 

Twenty-four Gurus

 

A monk had come to visit a king in his royal town

And the king asked the monk why he wanders around

“You are wise, wonderful, and ever so competent

What is it that molded you to be ever so confident?”

 

The monk replied, “Your majesty, nature sent me twenty-four gurus

Each one taught me a lesson, so they became my truths

If you have the time, I’ll reveal my meaningful list

For each and every teacher I’ll give you just the gist.

 

From the earth I learned to be generous and giving

From the wind I learned to let trouble pass by

From the sky I learned to bear much turbulence

From water I learned to be clean of body and mind

From fire I learned to burn favorable energy

From the moon I learned to appear/disappear, but be there

From the sun I learned to shine and to share

From the ocean I learned to do great and be grave

From the python I learned to accept what’s easily attained

From the moth I learned not to dash too fast to what glares

From the honey bee I learned to take only what’s essential

From the badger I learned conviction to obtain the best

From the serpent I learned sometimes best things are done alone

From the wasp I learned that he who stings gets stung

From the elephant I learned though wise, one can still fall into a trap

From the deer I learned to keep the eyes open

From the fish I learned to not let the eye deceive

From the spider I learned the Creator unwinds then winds up

From a bird I learned there is no territory that is safe

From a lovebird I learned that love can get you lost or found

From the craftsmen I learned to be honest and not crafty

From the innocent child I learned to enjoy life freely

From the young woman I learned (because I’m a monk) I won’t be her partner

From the prostitute I learned it’s not the numbers – there’s only One True Love

 

May the Source be with you!

3 km


 

No comments: