Thursday 14 October 2021

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Olmsted, Ohio

First Full Day in Cleveland

 

Brae and I walked for a japa session in this American-dream neighbourhood of expansive yards, fine homes and swimming pools. We came to a juncture and there met a middle-aged couple who stopped their vehicle with a rolled down window in such unusually warm weather for October.

“Buddhist monks?” asked the driver. At least he didn’t ask, “Hallowe’en characters?” Brae wore a white dhoti and chaddar and actually looked like he was wearing a Greek toga. I, myself, was in saffron.

“We are Hare Krishnas,” I replied.

“Oh, yeah, I’ve heard of them.”

“Come to our event at 5 p.m.,” I invited. He made prior arrangements.

Our arrangement was actually a massive tent set up like a banquet hall. The ambiance was like that of a temple. Michael and Paurnamasi had it all so well designed in their yard. The occasion was an initiation ceremony, so nicely attended by friends and relatives. Michael, my host, received the Sanskrit name Madhavananda. Hare, who’s from India, received the name Haripada. His wife, Saumya, is now Sandamini. Shyama, raised in America, is Shyama Kund, named after the sacred pond at Govardhan, India. And Andy now has the name Adi Karta. Andy is an ordained Minister with the United Church.

The priest presiding over the fire arena was Dayal Nitai, A.K.A. Don Foose, a straight-edge vocalist. We sat together and he told me he was a boxer for twenty years. “I would wake up in the morning sore all over my head and have these head aches.”

“I’m glad you’re over this. Congratulations on your brahminical task for this evening.”

I also want to congratulate the five initiates.

May the Source be with you!

2 km



 

 

No comments: