Saturday 11 September 2021

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The Annex, Toronto

A Living Barbie-doll

 

I was walking at normal pace and without a cane, back from a shiatsu session with Carlos when a unique woman of character addressed us.

“What is that?” said the woman in brown vinyl gown and looking half-glamorised half-Barbie doll. The make-up was intense enough. Her question was crass, but here goes my answer.

“I’m a monk.”

“What kind of monk?” she continued

A Krishna monk with a tradition of roots from India.”

“But you’re white!” she challenged.

“Actually, I’m beige.”

“No, you’re not. Your fricking piggy pink.”

She did take me by surprise, being maybe 30 and dressed to kill. I guess we judged each other in a similar material way, a question of are you for real? cut the superficiality. I was hesitant to give her my card. She continued speaking partly blurred saying something about when she gets to a certain point she’ll see to it that I’ll not be a smiling monk (as I was then).

That was quite a threat for sure and I really didn’t know what I had done wrong. Anyway, she was a character. And I hope I’ll be perceived as a monk, a genuine one. She walked on. So did I, but I couldn’t help thinking the encounter was surreal. Hmm! Maybe Just For Laughs had their camera person there getting peoples reactions when meeting someone obnoxious?

 

May the Source be with you!

3 km


 

 

No comments: