Wednesday 1 September 2021

Monday, August 16, 2021

Ramsden Park, Toronto

A Slight Mix Up

 

I had myself set up at a picnic table with a majestic blue spruce to my back. I was just beginning with a Zoom call and connecting with our Ottawa admins. I popped my two-day-old walking cane on the table. Like all meetings, virtual included, we start by reciting prayers to the guru, our founder, Srila Prabhupada.

 

That was completed and then a decent looking man appearing to be in his 60’s came over to grab for my cane. He thought it was his. I placed my grip on it.

 

“Oh!” He looked back and saw his actual stick where he left it before picnicking with his friends. Anyway, they look alike.

 

“I’m sorry!” He said.

 

“Think nothing of it!”

 

“Now you’re a monk?” He inquired.

 

“Yes, I am.”

 

“It was bad enough karma to take someone’s possession, what to speak of taking from a monk. I can’t imagine.”

 

Pulling away from my phone and the meeting in session, I suggested to the gentleman, “Sir it’s nothing to worry about. We all make mistakes.”

 

He clutched his own cane and helped himself down the hill to the street level. Come to think of it, more people use walking canes or sticks than are willing to admit. The cane is a third leg that helps support any imbalance. It’s like life. You have a guru that keeps you from a falldown.

 

May the Source be with you!

1 km


 

No comments: