Sunday 8 December 2019

Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019


Calgary, Alberta

Good-bye Callous

It has been more than twenty-four years since I developed this callous and corn on the sole of my right foot.  It doesn't cause pain, but more—aggravation, from the point of view that it remains hard, and in some subtle way causes an uneven walk when I’m going barefoot. 

Personally, I have been hacking, or chiseling, away at this stubborn entity, on and off.  Today, I asked Radha Madhava, the person whom I stay with in Calgary, to finish it off.  So I handed him a rasp-type instrument supplied by my doctor, Jagannath M., from Burlington, Ontario.  He took my request seriously and, with full concentration, tackled the little corn demon.  First, he gently sawed away at hard, dead skin, then plucked at a softer whitish strand before applying a callous cream.  I hope it does the job.  As a growth, I don't mind bidding farewell to this baby.

Speaking of babies, I have been introduced to three newborns on this trip.  Kapil brought his baby of seven pounds.  It is custom to bring your infant to a holy man for blessings.  My routine is to offer some mantras close to the child's ear, press my right thumb gently on their forehead, and when convenient, place a small tilak dot there. 

Kapil and his wife are splendid cooks.  They offer cooking courses.  They can go quite exotic with both eastern and western fusions.  When it comes to food on this Alberta trip, I've been requesting greens as blood thinners.  I left my pills behind accidentally.  I can use greens, and such things as turmeric, and if need be,  garlic, as medicine. 

Our house program at the Gupta's was very gratifying.  A kirtan, class and feast highlighted the event.  I thank Gaurachandra for the walk on the Greenway. 

May the Source be with you!
4 km

No comments: