Wednesday 25 December 2019

Friday, December 20th, 2019

Toronto, Ontario

A Piece of Himself

Nirakula comes to visit us every six months, along with her husband, Vaisesika, to encourage the sharing of wisdom.  It is significant at this time of year in December, when the ‘giving spirit’ is the strongest.  Classes are lined up, beginning with today, to express the joy of giving.  Some devotees from different cities have come to hear how to best achieve the act of giving.

It was today, before I went for a five kilometre walk, that I received a call from a bhakti follower from Canada, who is visiting in India, and, in particular, Govardhan, where a good number of pilgrims walk to circle around the iconic hill.  He explained how it was nice but not without a challenge.  The story had to do with giving.  

"We were walking in one area where the monkeys surrounded us.  They were aggressive, and I couldn't find a stick.  So I found a rock and threatened them because they were pulling my wife's saree... I realized at some point that I had picked up a gift from the hill itself.  The rock had the features of a shila.  (Shilas are revered in some places in India and they are characteristic of certain fine features.)  I felt blessed."

The pilgrim-caller asked what he should do with this special stone and I suggested he bring it back to Canada, to bless his small shrine at home.  It would adorn the shrine, and he could then adore the stone.  God had given a little piece of Himself.

While walking on the Danforth, I dwelt on the story of the monkeys, the saree and the stone.  I could imagine the scenario.  I was wondering if monkeys would be intimidated by a snowball if they tugged at my dhoti robe.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: