Wednesday 27 November 2019

Friday, November 22nd, 2019


Toronto, Ontario

The Switch

From Roxborough Street going east, I made it to Moore Park Ravine, and then came upon a new switchback at Chorley Park.  For years that has been one of my walking routes, but what's different in the newly renovated Chorley Park is that zigzag of a trail called a switchback.  Systematically, the city Parks Commission has been making improvements and completing a makeover during the last two years.  I'm noticing it and loving it.

However on my ascent, half-way up the switchback, I asked the oncoming pedestrian, a woman with her pet dog, what she thought about the new look/facility, and she replied, "I don't care for it.  I mean to say, I like the concept but they have taken down trees to do it."

She made me think, and I agree trees should not be chain-sawed down.  It could, should, be avoided.  But as she spoke, I realized no deforestation had taken place here.  There's no tree stumps to prove it.  As far as I can recall, the side of the hill, we were standing on, has been barren for decades, with only a few shrubs here and there.  In fact, young trees have been planted recently.  They will add beauty and offer protection from erosion.

I was not in the mood to disagree.  I was just happy to interact with someone, and that's why I took the initiative.  I was glad to meet someone and I believe the woman was too, even though, from her end, speaking to a monk was just a consequence. 

Earlier on in the day, I met Jivan Mukta, an old acquaintance with whom I shared some years of ‘monkhood’ in the early eighties.  He has come to the conclusion that life is negative enough.  His motto is: "I don't want to hear negative."

May the Source be with you!
6 km



No comments: