Thursday 31 October 2019

Thursday, October 24th, 2019


Toronto, Ontario

Some Foot Care

I have decent track shoes, but was lacking in the easy slide-in-and-out type of sandal. They are essential because I’ll soon be off to milder climates, like Argentina and Cuba. So, I walked up Yonge Street to the store, and made my choice.  I also needed indoor, temple footwear which will be easy to remove. Our building has rooms such as the temple room, where footwear is prohibited.

It’s all about footcare.

I was reminded of the story in the Ramayana, where both the wife and brother of Rama were so sensitive to the destination of Rama’s feet that they vowed to walk in front of Him through the thickets, where sharp stones and thorns could do damage. Their names were Sita and Laksmana, respectively.

We know Rama didn’t necessarily need their protection. They declared His soles to be too soft, but for Him, enduring austerity was what He really thrived on. In any event, the sentiments projected toward Him were about care and personal service.

Once I arrived back at the ashram after asking for a lay-away of my chosen sandals, I took some time to care for my feet directly. Some epsom salts would do the trick! I’ve also been putting some ayurvedic treatment on the corn on the base of my right foot. Believe it or not, I’ve had that silly thing with me since my first cross-nation walk in ’96. It doesn’t really hurt. It’s just there, and I just want to ask him to take a hike.

May the Source be with you!
4 km

No comments: