Monday 28 October 2019

Saturday, October 19th, 2019



Frankfurt, Germany

Four Hours in Frankfurt

The layover in Frankfurt wasn’t too long—a mere four hours.  I went through security at Terminal One and eventually made my way to Gate B23, where in one corner you have these swivelling bubble-type units (called silent chairs) to relax in. I had just plopped myself into one when a Muslim woman in the next unit asked, “Are you on pilgrimage?” in her British accent.

“Yes, I am.”

“Your first time?”

“Oh, no. I go to India every year; this time, the South.”

“I’m on my way to Mecca…for the first time. I’m really looking forward to it,” she remarked.

“Well, I’m really happy for you.”

“Hare Krishna?” she asked.

“Oh, yes!”

“Some say that Krishna and Jesus are the same person.” (She said nothing of Mohammed.)

My brief clarification was: “Well, it’s certainly a wise sentiment.  At least Jesus and Krishna share the same qualities.”

Our conversation pretty much ended there when, whether by choice or chance, her bubble swivelled in the opposite direction.  I was happy to have talked to someone, since everyone else in that corner was enveloped in their own realm or ‘their own little bubble.”

The woman did get me thinking.  I had heard that Paramahansa Yogananda, author of Autobiography of a Yogi, equated Krishna to Jesus, in intent.  If so, I would regard the notion as a speculation, and resign myself to the term ‘different avatars’. Anyway, glad to have made a Muslim friend.

May the Source be with you!
0 km






No comments: