Wednesday 6 March 2019

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019

Mayapura, India

Gone With Ganga

Today I saw my dear friend, Rsi, drift away forever in the Ganges waters.  It was his ashes that I released.  Rsi was about two years my junior.  He was born Rick Habson, in Canada.  He passed away one year ago.  It was the first opportunity I had to carry his ashes and have them merge into the holy waters.

I felt strong emotions when my last rites guide, Jananivas, gave the word, "Let it go!"  I placed the ashes  in a flat circular basket with Ganges mud underneath and over-top, with honey mixed in.  Of course, they were his ashes and it wasn't him, nevertheless, it was part of Rsi.

"Hare Krishna, Rsi!  Goodbye!"

I reflected on him, his soft side, his step-son, Kailash, and Karen, his partner. He struggled with alcohol for some time and had it rough, but he loved his guru, Prabhupada, his friends, sankirtan, his family, and the distribution of Vedic literatures.

Memories!

I was grateful to have Jananivas with me for the closure.  We, along with two other monks, walked to the banks of the Ganges.  After the rites were completed, we did some ‘dham seva’—service to the pilgrimage site.  There exists a culture of neglect in India. Paper and plastic bags are strewn about after the contents are used.  We picked up some of that refuse and cleaned the space we used.

Prime Minister Modi's policy of "clean up India" included a small contribution from our side.  Yes, clean up, get clean and go, then back to home.

May the Source be with you!
8 km




No comments: