Monday 19 November 2018

Thursday, November 15th, 2018


Buenos Aires, Argentina

Service is Safest

I’m staying in a small house that’s plopped onto a flat rooftop of the temple building. I have been chanting on my beads while pacing on that rooftop.  This is how I’m getting some mileage in, all except for the occasional sit-down on a bench where the temple cat, Ruki, comes to join me.  I think she likes hearing my chanting.  She wants some affection so I give her a stroke with my left hand, every so often, while my right hand is fingering the beads.

One of the reasons for walking or pacing on the rooftop is that the traffic is a bit crazy outside at street level.  There are many one-ways, and street lights cater only to the motorists.  There isn’t always a light to caution the pedestrian. Just see how most things are geared up for the automobile and not the person?

Another reason for avoiding the street, to some extent, is for another level of safety. Since a friend of mine was attacked in the rather safe city of Vancouver, then drugged, stripped and hung, suspended head down from a tree for twenty-four hours, I’ve been less inclined to trust.  This was last September at the edge of Stanley Park.  He managed to get loose, crawl through a forest trail moaning for help, where a female runner found him and then called the police.  My friend is a bhakti-yoga practitioner and is in his early sixties.  He spent days in the hospital with torn ligaments.  On the phone he sounded quite confident and strong, fortunately. Anyway, the world we live in is running less safe.  The greatest safety is in service.  I'm glad to be engaged with a group of loving dramatists during my stay in Argentina.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: