Wednesday 1 February 2012

Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

Careful Stepping

Toronto, Ontario

Some people have heard about the back packing fellow in America who ventured alone, fell into an abyss and got his arm trapped between a rock and a cliff.  He was stuck for about three days and had to eventually cut off his arm in order to free himself.  His biggest mistake was to daredevil alone.

I felt a little like that going solo today.  With the snow's melting and mud all about, the angles that I approached in the ravine left me in an exciting slide-and-leap for grasping the next tree.  Most other trekkers were smart enough to let the ravine be, but I went for excitement, an adventurous spirit that translates into dependency on Him (Krishna).  Those trees were my saviours as they were spread apart in a calculated perfect distance.  They were my brakes.

My prayer was, "Oh Krishna, please help me get to my next anchor, the next tree, before I make a fall."  It was a deliberate predicament I put myself into.  While maneuvering in this way, I forced myself to use whatever God given intelligence was there in the search for the firm step like a mountain climber would.  I imposed upon myself a careful footing that would permit the tiny steps of surrender.  It was an exercise in balance.  Fortunately I came out of the ravine fall-free.  Once I made my way out of the ravine I realized there's more chance of danger when dodging traffic in trying to cross the street. 

It is an understatement to say that the world is a dangerous place, full of accidents, deaths, diseases, aging and so on.

One of our elderly members, Ms. Rampiriari Bhakri, passed away on Sunday.  The viewing at the funeral home was this evening and about four hundred people from the Punjabi community came to pay respects.  Their response to the chanting offered a soothing effect.

Condolences to family and friends.

13 Km

No comments: