Wednesday 30 June 2010

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

Going Back

Over Europe & the Atlantic

It was the first day of serious sun for some time. This is unusual for Italy. Smog hit the Milano skyline on our way to the airport. It cleared from sight as we turned north towards the mountains. What a world we live in, isn’t it? Oil spills, smogs and billboards advertising people with clothes almost on…It’s not the clothes they’re selling but the flesh or the sex in your face. It’s appalling!

I know I may sound like an old fuddy duddy but I see this last image I describe as an exploitation of the public. For sure people are not being guided on the spiritual path. On the contrary.

At the Helsinki airport a Chinese man from Canada came up and asked if I was following Tibetan Buddhism.

“No,” I said. “I’m with the Hare Krishna.”
“Oh yes,” he remarked, “Buddhism came from your Hindu tradition.”

He continued, “I remember you folks so active on the streets in the seventies – the hippie days. It was so idealistic then. There was so much anti-materialism.”

I did agree with the man but I couldn’t refrain from thinking that the world has surely stepped up on self-aggrandizement. Having just spent the last twelve days in Italy I dwelt on a sure sign of what I consider a moral decay. Sexual promiscuity is rampant in our modern world – active sex but no kids. And Italy being rated as the highest of the European nations in the category of low procreation indicates that this nation isn’t exempt from moral misbehaviour.

Please don’t get me wrong. I really liked Italy and will hold fond memories in my heart. I’m just witnessing some unwholesome signs. I know I sound a bit like my Dad did when talking to his teenage son, me. He sounded like a fuddy duddy. Here I am making judgment but based on having my eyes open.

On the plane ride back I saw people all around. At least beside me in front and behind I was witnessing the craze for filling out crossword puzzles. I’m not judging that. It can be a wit-tester solving out those games. They are passing their time. I’m chanting on my meditative beads.

5,000 KM

No comments: