Monday 12 April 2010

Friday, April 9th, 2010

More Gurus

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

One of my primary motivations for the trip to Pennsylvania was to keep to a wish by residents at the Port Royal farm and devotees of Harrisburg to have me visit. A second reason was to train two young talented men from the farm in drama workshops in order to perform on the weekend and then bring them back to Canada for more transcendental theatrical work. It is my intent to have those two accompany me on walks while in Canada.

I was so impressed with them that their lines to the play, “Lonely People”, were memorized. What a relief! I think working with them is going to be good because right at the onset they displayed a healthy inner drive. “There is hope”, I thought to myself. Gaura, 23, and Nitai, who just turned 18, are the two chaps referred to. They had enough interest to accompany us to Harrisburg, an hour’s drive from the Gita Nagari farm, for the weekly Friday evening satsang (spiritual gathering). We stepped into a community center with an enthusiastic group of people who sat eager to learn.

I was given Chapter 14, verse 1 of the Bhagavad-gita to speak from. I turned the session into verse memorization, not lines for a play. The topic here was knowing the three prong ways of nature called gunas. I elaborated on these three modes. It became an interactive session including kids as well as adults. You can say I played the role of guru.

For the evening I retired at the home of Tamal Krishna and Lila Katha and their 2 year old toddler. Before lying down we discussed the need to expand the number of gurus or teachers in the world. “With little effort I personally know about fifty people who are eligible to function in this role as guru to offer this service to humanity. They just need to be empowered to do the job,” I recommended.

While the world sinks into maya’s (illusion’s) abyss, there is a great need to activate and mobilize quality people to the task of teaching the world the finer values of life.

7 KM

No comments: