Thursday 18 February 2010

Tuesday, February 16th, 2010

Krishna Breaking!

Mayapur, West Bengal

In the morning we passed-by fields of sugar cane, chick peas, coriander and sun-flower. When I say we, I mean that I’m never alone in Mayapur. There is always a half a dozen to a dozen of us pilgrims taking the time to step to the sound of transcendence, the maha-mantra. Tierry from Mauritus came to India for the first time. Also Kalpesh from Calgary, a young man from the business world in oil-rich Alberta, decided he needed a break. He expressed, “I came here to Mayapur not sure if I would know anyone. Fortunately I found you” (meaning us).

Tierry caught a whiff of the coriander aroma. It hit his notrils like it did all of us. The next major scent to greet us all happened at the Goshala, the cow shelter. Laksmi, a fine queen amongst the bovine, dropped her mercy to release fragrant methane plops.

We were informed that one man who had serious respiratory problems was advised by his Ayurvedic doctor to live near the Goshala. For weeks he was exposed to the gaseous sweetness of the place until his breathing complications were over.

My evening took a turn from scents to sounds and sights. It was the premiere of our play ‘The Witness’ in Mayapur. The audience was thrilled especially when Dustin and Prem danced. After the presentation came feedback. Apparently one influential person took some opposition to the short break dance segment by Prem who played Krishna.

I’m willing to take my criticism as mentioned before but on this one I will say break-dance is non-sensual. The execution was expert. It gave Krishna a playful edge but nothing less-reverential than He deserves.

5 KM

No comments: